Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop ‘Vagina’ Candle Randomly Explodes, Poses Fire Risk, Class Action Claims
Lifestyle company Goop’s unique “This Smells Like My Vagina” candle does little to seduce, instead randomly exploding and posing risks to people and property, a new class action lawsuit alleges.
The nationwide class action lawsuit was filed in California on May 17 by lead Plaintiff Colby Watson, who says that he bought the $75 candle off Goop’s website in January, and when he was using it for the first time, it became engulfed in flames.
The claim says that Watson had been burning the candle, which comes in a glass holder, for three hours on his nightstand away from any other objects or materials when the fire occurred.
“Plaintiff discovered the candle had exploded and that the room in his home where the candle was located was filled with smoke,” the class action lawsuit says, adding that his nightstand now has a black burn ring where the candle had been sitting.
Watson alleges that Goop, which is owned by actress Gwyneth Paltrow, has continued to sell the candle on its site despite knowing the risks it poses.
In January, the U.K. publication The Sun published a story of a woman whose Goop vagina-scented candle had exploded in her home, the claim states. At the time, the woman said that there were bits flying everywhere, and “the thing was ablaze, it was too hot to touch. There was an inferno in the room.”
According to the claim, the candle explodes with such force it could seriously injure a person and cause serious property damage.
Watson says that Goop has failed to disclose the risk of the “inherently dangerous” candles.
Watson wants to represent anyone in the United States who bought a “This Smells Like My Vagina” candle from Goop between 2020 and 2021, as well as a subclass for Texas residents.
He is suing for breach of warranty, unjust enrichment, negligence and violations of business laws, and is seeking damages, compensation, and a jury trial.
Goop isn’t the only company that has faced legal action over exploding candles. In November 2020, a California man filed a class action lawsuitagainst Spectrum Brands Inc. for its Repel insect repellent candle, which he said exploded in his face when he tried to blow it out.
Have you ever had a candle explode while you were burning it? Let us know in the comments section!
Watson is represented by Robert S. Green, James Robert Noblin, and Evan M. Sumer of Green & Noblin, P.C. and William B. Federman of Federman & Sherwood.
The Exploding Goop Vagina Candle Class Action Lawsuit is Watson v. Goop Inc., Case No. 2:21-cv-04113, in the U.S. District Court Central District of California.